Wednesday, June 23, 2010

progress in the garden

I'm pretty happy to report that two months after planting, my little garden is doing great!

Overall, it hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be. It really just takes a little bit of time, research, some good fertilizer and plenty of water.

ALREADY HARVESTED:
- romaine lettuce
- buttercrunch lettuce
- spinach
- cilantro

The lettuce was AWESOME! It was really low maintenance, which was great for this beginner. I CRAMMED it into a container and although it quadrupled in size, it did just fine. We ate salads from it every night for weeks! The recent heat caused it to bolt, but while it lasted, it did really well. The spinach also had a short lifespan but was very yummy. Plus, it was nice to not have to think about all of those e-coli spinach scares. The cilantro was also delicious - I'm now waiting for the coriander seeds to dry out so I can use them.

CURRENTLY HARVESTING:
- cherry tomatoes
- early girl and better boy tomatoes
- blueberries
- jalapeno peppers
- sweet, lemon and mammoth basil
- rosemary
- oregano
- sage

Cherry tomatoes

Sweet Basil

Lemon Basil and Mammoth Basil

Blueberries

Jalapeno peppers

Early Girl and Better Boy tomatoes

WAITING TO HARVEST:
- broccoli
- strawberries?
- green bell peppers

Strawberries

Green bell peppers

Broccoli

The broccoli has been a little testy, but I think it's doing ok. The plants are enormous! I'm not sure how to tell when it is ready to be picked... I think I'll wait for it to grow just a little more. Also, I learned that strawberry plants don't typically produce berries until their SECOND season. Boo. The green peppers are almost large enough to start harvesting.

We've got tons of green tomatoes just starting to turn red - I'm hoping to learn how to stew and can them so I can use them throughout winter. Any advice or good recipes? Please send if so! My kitchen will also be turning out lots of fresh pesto, basil oil and salsa.

It's been so rewarding to be able to grow our own food! Completely worth the effort, in my opinion. I'm officially addicted! :)

3 comments:

Emily said...

Way to go, Em! We have such a late last frost date that my plants are still chugging along. I hope they do as well as yours. I'm so envious of your big, beautiful basil plants!

Meredith said...

Glad your garden is doing so well! Watch out for the rascally squirrels...they've been getting our tomatoes and strawberries. We still have bell peppers, jalepenos, green beans, and tons of herbs but the tomatoes are my favorite so it's a bummer :(

Lauren said...

I'm jealous! I tried to grow vegetables last year, but it was a big fail. I don't think our yard gets enough sunlight.