Tuesday, April 20, 2010

container garden


I have great aspirations when it comes to gardening. Yet at this point, my dreams far outweigh my skills! However, my great-grandmother, Nana, was a pro at flowers. My grandmother, Myma, is a pro at vegetables (especially tomatoes). And my mom is a pro at landscapes. So I'm hoping that the gardening gene has somehow been passed down to me!

It's been three years since we spent a consecutive spring and summer in one place. I'm so thankful for this year of non-moving that allows me to garden! Since we won't be at this house for much of the summer next year, I decided not to bother with creating a bed in the ground. I don't want to go to all of the hassle and then leave it behind when we move. I figure my only other option is container gardening!

Our little golden nugget is becoming quite the expert digger, so after planting all of my seedlings, I crammed the pots on top of the fire pit (we never use it) in our backyard. This way she won't be as tempted to ruin the plants. Plus, I figure that other pests won't be able to get into the containers as easily if they are elevated.

After checking out a few books at the library and starting some online research, I'm still trying to learn:

- when and how to harvest
- how much space to allow between plants
- when and how to prune
- when and how much to water
- how much light different plants need
- the best fertilizers to use (I bought some fish emulsion - PEWWW! It may be the most revolting smelling gunk I have ever encountered. It better work!)

If you're looking for helpful web sites, here are a couple I've found so far:


Anthropologie is currently hosting FREE container gardening workshops in all of their stores nationwide - I can't wait for the one here in Indy tomorrow night. I need all the help I can get! Hopefully I'll walk away brimming with knowledge that will help me grow big, beautiful plants!

Following are pictures of the vegetables and fruit I have planted. I'm also growing rosemary, oregano, cilantro and basil (and the basil is the only one I'm attempting from seed). If you have any advice for me, PLEASE SHARE!

PS - I just read in The Gourmet Gardener that it's possible to grow coffee trees!! How awesome is that? Maybe next year...

Romaine Lettuce

Broccoli

Green Bell Peppers and a Jalapeno (just for Brian)

Left: Spinach, Right: Buttercrunch Lettuce

Ozark Beauty and Sequoia Strawberries

Early Girl and Better Boy Tomatoes (with Sweet 100 Tomatoes in the background)

I'm so desperate for hydrangeas that I planted one in a pot on our front porch. Can you even do that? Guess I'll find out!

Phlox

Also, just had to throw in a few pictures of our next door neighbor's Weeping Cherry tree. Isn't it just gorgeous!?!? I think it looks like a prom dress. And cotton candy. When the blooms fall, it's like pink snow. I want one. :)


1 comment:

The Bailes said...

So that's what those trees are called! I've seen them around and I want one too! Sophie and I just planted some seeds for our summer salads today: Arugula, Spinach, Kale and lettuce...I have several other seeds that I'm going to try this year, but have to start earlier with my seeds next year! We'll see if it works :)