Monday, February 8, 2010

visitors

Still playing catch up here - almost finished.

Just before Christmas, my dear friend Ashley flew out to stay with us for a couple of days. I met Ash when we were in Wichita last year - she and her husband, Matt, lived in the townhouse right across the street from ours. After discovering all that we had in common, we quickly grew to be close friends. We have definitely missed having the Braeuers as neighbors here in Indy, so it was a real treat when Ash came to visit! We reverted back to our neighbor days and spent hours on the couch talking and just hanging out. We did so much talking, in fact, that we hardly left the house (plus it was FREEZING outside while she was here), so we don't have very many pictures. But we have a ton of fun memories! :)

Sweet Aunt Ashley letting Stryder snuggle - on the couch! - with her.

Right after Christmas, my great friends Val (from Kansas City) and Em (from Denver) flew out to visit. Like Ashley, we didn't take very many pictures, but we fit lots of great girl time into the few days that they were here. (I apologize that the few pictures we do have are very random!)

In honor of their trip, I made a gigantic chocolate cake - the kind you only make once a year for a very special occasion. And the kind you only make for serious chocolate lovers. Chocolate mousse, and ganache, sandwiched between two layers of rich chocolate cake, smothered in chocolate buttercream and topped with one more layer of ganache. Woooaaahhh. Here's the recipe if you want to try it - but let me forewarn you, it is a bit complicated and time consuming. But oh so worth it!


Val is a registered dietician, and Em and I are both serious foodies, so much of our conversations centered around food and recipes. Consequently, I was really excited to take them to Fresh Market, a local grocery store that I find amazing (ha ha - probably doesn't sound like fun to very many people)! Turns out I know my friends pretty well - we stayed for more than an hour, walking the aisles, oohing and aahing over their gourmet foods and beautiful displays.

Cheezy pic of Val and I checking out Fresh Market's lollipop selection (Em FORCED us to pose for this). :)

We also did some shopping and dining in Zionsville, a neat area nearby, and then I took them to eat at Ambrosia, our favorite Italian restaurant (but we forgot to take pictures at both places). One really fun part of their trip was that Em and I got to teach Val how to knit! We went to a yarn shop and all bought the same yarn so we could knit the same scarf.


Nothing beats quality time with girlfriends! I am so blessed by these three ladies, and so honored that they would come visit me. Love you girls!

2 comments:

The Bailes said...

I had so much fun...seems like forever ago and NOW I get to see you again in TWO weeks! Yea!

The Notetaker said...

It was such a great trip. I wore my scarf today! I love it - just need to figure out better how to tie it. I'll bring it to GW so you can show me what you'd do.
Thanks again for such a lovely time in Indiana. Can't wait to see you again soon!