Thursday, April 15, 2010

putting off AND putting on

God's been teaching me something lately. And as He often does with the lessons I need to learn, He is hammering this one into my thick head hard. It's painful. Humbling. So good for me.

Brian and I have been working through MacArthur's study guide on James. Last week, we examined the last part of James 1, and verse 22 particularly grabbed me:

"But be doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves..."

Growing up in a Christian school, as a pastor's daughter, the right answer was highly valued. It was advantageous to know a lot of Scripture and Bible stories. I took tests in Bible class, and the more I knew, the higher my grade.

So, being a high-achiever, I've always scored pretty well in knowledge. I've even scored ok in abstinence from "bad" things. But I am realizing that my score for good works, above and beyond learning and self-restraint, is pretty low. I've convinced myself that hearing, understanding, knowing is enough. I've always been on the defense against evil, but not so much on the offense.

Last week, I thought a lot about what it looks like to transform knowledge into zest-filled action. Practical ways I can force knowledge out of my head and into the world. I'd rather know just a couple of principles and act each one out then know many things but not take action with any of them.

Oh, how I want a high grade in faith-based actions, not just knowledge.

Our pastor is currently preaching through Matthew. Last Sunday (12:43-50), he expounded on the importance of continuing to move forward even after we put off our old selves. Scripture makes it clear that while getting rid of sin is essential, creating new behaviors is the crucial next step.

Here's a for instance. Let's say there's a gal who I really don't click with. She tends to be insensitive, and she's said some things that have really offended me. When she comes into the room, I cringe, and hope that I don't have to talk to her. If I truly want to follow Jesus's example, I won't just hold myself back from saying something mean to her. I'll do that AND go out of my way to say something kind and loving.

Our pastor used an example that has really stuck with me. "When does a liar stop being a liar?" he asked the congregation. "It's not when he stops telling lies. It's when he starts telling the truth."

In our bulletins was an insert that I have tucked inside my Bible so I will see it for the rest of my life. If you struggle with this concept like I do, take encouragement and accountability from this practical list of actions that flow from a changed heart!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that insert- thanks for sharing it!!