Thursday, April 8, 2010

heaven

"If there be so certain and glorious a rest for the saints, why is there no more industrious seeking after it? One would think, if a man did but once hear of such unspeakable glory to be obtained, and believed what he heard to be true, he should be transported with the vehemency of his desire after it, and should almost forget to eat and drink, and should care for nothing else, and speak of and inquire after nothing else, but how to get this treasure. And yet people who hear of it daily, and profess to believe it as a fundamental article of their faith, do as little mind it, or labor for it, as if they had never heard of such a thing, or did not believe one word they hear."
- Richard Baxter


I just turned the last page of Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven.

My heart is so full.

I love to read. I've read a lot of books - a lot of excellent books. Yet I have never read a book that the Lord has used to so transform my thinking as this one. I literally feel like I have a brand new perspective on the eternal destiny of those who are His. A 180 degree change. And I am beyond excited!

A place that I used to feel vague about, I now picture in a tangible, concrete, specific, beautiful, exciting way. A place that I used to feel guilty for being less-than-enthused toward, I now eagerly anticipate from the bottom of my heart.

I am motivated, like never before, to:
- share the gospel with those who don't believe
- set my heart on eternity, making decisions in this life that will carry on after my death
- invest in the only things that will last forever: my relationships with the Lord and people

If you've ever wondered...

What it will look like when the Curse is lifted. (Praise the Lord, that day IS coming!)

About the difference between the present Heaven and the eternal Heaven.

What the New Jerusalem and the rest of the New Earth, and the Universe, will be like.

If Heaven will have space, time, sun, moon, oceans, weather, animals, arts, entertainment, technology, crafts and sports.

What we will DO in Heaven. If we will have jobs. If we will play. If we will travel. If we will sleep. If we will laugh.

How we will relate to other believers in Heaven, including the people whom we have known and loved in this life.

... then this book is for you. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Read it so you can know for sure. Read it so you can answer questions from your kids in a specific way. Read it so you can be genuinely excited when you think about your forever home. Read it so you can praise our gracious Heavenly Father in a new way - for His ingenuity, creativity and lovingkindness toward His undeserving children.

"Christian, meditate much on heaven, it will help thee to press on, and to forget the toil of the way. This vale of tears is but the pathway to the better country: this world of woe is but the stepping-stone to a world of bliss. And, after death, what cometh? What wonderworld will open upon our astonished sight?"
- Charles Spurgeon

[Alcorn does an incredible job of presenting a thoroughly-researched, systematic approach to a believer's view of Heaven. While he substantiates ALL of his thoughts with Scripture, of course, as with any book written by a human, I cannot endorse his ideas as being absolute truth. And I don't think even Alcorn would claim that they are. The point is, he encourages believers to study God's Word and then start thinking. Start dreaming.

As John Piper says, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." He has created a wonderful-beyond-belief home for us, so it pleases Him when we are thankful and excited about it. Because when we are joyful about what He gives us, we are ultimately joyful in Him, the source of all good things.

The ability to truly set your heart on Heaven will affect every. single. aspect. of your life. Now what are you waiting for? Go read it! :) ]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just ran for my Kindle and downloaded it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm super excited.

The Notetaker said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this because I had forgotten you mentioning this book before. And I'll be calling our church library tomorrow to reserve a copy! Thanks, Em.

Meredith said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Em! Will definitely get that one!