Thursday, November 19, 2009

A great study

I just finished a really, really good Bible Study, so I thought I'd pass it along in case anyone is looking for a book to use.

Click to Close (MacArthur Bible Studies: Hebrews by John MacArthur)

For the past 12 Tuesdays, I've been meeting with a group of women at my church to do John MacArthur's Study Guide Series on the book of Hebrews. There are 12 chapters in this book (ideal for a 12-week study); each week covers roughly one chapter of Hebrews. MacArthur breaks it down verse by verse and expounds on the meanings of the words and phrases used. He then follows each section up with personal questions that truly make you think. He often directs his readers to other related Biblical passages outside of Hebrews, which promotes a more comprehensive understanding of Scripture and the way it all works together.

I feel like after completing this study, you could ask me about a specific verse in Hebrews, and I would not only be able to tell you where it was located within the book, but what it really means. And that is not because I have a good memory (which I really don't) - this book impressed Scripture in my mind like nothing I have ever used before. MacArthur uses Scripture to interpret Scripture, leaving very little room for personal conjectures to leak through.

A sample page

My group is taking a break now for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we're planning to start MacArthur's study of Romans mid-January. I. can't. wait. In the meantime, I just ordered James and will hopefully be able to finish it on my own before beginning Romans with the group.

Has anyone else ever done one of MacArthur's Study Guide Series? Or have you finished anything else recently that you would recommend?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Em - I've been reading his New Testament Commentary on Matthew (...for like 5 months!). It's jammed with information that blows my mind - the Bible is perfect in every letter, word and verb tense. I'm going to try a Bible study after reading your post because the commentary does lack personal questions and places to write. I do like the way he writes - in plain language.

Anonymous said...

THANKS!! I love good study tips! Hope your visit with Brian's parents was wonderful!!

Meredith said...

That sounds great! My Community Bible Study did Hebrews last year but I missed most of it when I was out after I had Lee. Might have to get that book.