Monday, March 23, 2009

28

I realized today that I now only have ONE more birthday left to celebrate in my twenties. Sigh. That's such a weird feeling. I don't know why I am SO dreading my 30th... I guess it's partly because that number has always represented "old" to me, and now I'm almost there. I thought I would be so much wiser, so much cooler, so much more advanced by this point - most days I still feel like I'm 18!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your phone calls, texts and emails. I felt very blessed and loved all day long.

Yesterday was my final cake in my Course 3 class, so I made myself a giant birthday cake! It's my last one for a while... I'm taking Course 2 next month, and its mostly flowers and icing techniques. I have to admit I'm glad - as much as I love cake, I'm getting a little caked out.


We leave Wednesday for a dental conference in Kansas City, and then we leave Sunday for a week-long Caribbean cruise! We found an unbelievably great deal on hotwire and figured we better take advantage of it while Brian's schedule is flexible - we won't be going anywhere once he starts school again in a couple of months.

I've been wanting to get scuba certified for quite a while now (so I could join Brian when he goes diving), and I finally completed the class portion this past weekend. My class was 5 hours on Friday night and 9 hours on Saturday - definitely a challenge, but I'm so glad I did it.

To complete my certification, I need to make four open water dives on the cruise. I'm really excited, but just a bit terrified of bumping into a shark. I'm hoping to be surrounded instead by lots of little Nemos, sea turtles and dolphins. We're taking an underwater camera, so I'll be sure to post some diving pics when we get home!

7 comments:

The Spann's said...

Beautiful cake, Em! You are so talented! And you better be careful out in the middle of the ocean!

AshlieB said...

Happy birthday...beautful cake! Have fun on your cruise...it's the best!

Anonymous said...

That cake is UNBELIEVEABLE!!! You for real need to do that professionally!!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday, Em!! Way to go on the cake. It's gorgeous.

Meredith said...

I wish I had a bday cake like that!! Awesome job! Have fun on your cruise!! Hope we can talk when you get back.

The Bailes said...

I can't wait to see you on Thursday...Yippee! I would make your a birthday cake...but looks like you have that covered :) LOVE your cak (think Father of the Bride)

Christine said...

Your cakes look amazing!!! Will you make me one?