Thursday, January 29, 2009

A male Celine

Has anyone else had a hard time catching American Idol every time it comes on this season? We've tivoed all of the episodes, and I'm trying my best to keep up. They've been good this year. Although he hasn't lost his ability to cut to the point and keep it real, I do think Simon has become a bit nicer. And I think I like the new judge - she's funny and seems qualified. I also think she looks a LOT like Katherine McPhee.

Anyway, when I was watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade this past year, I saw David Archuleta perform his single "Crush." I'm sure the song had been out for months, but since I don't listen to the radio that much, it was my first time hearing it. I stopped everything and just watched him until his float floated away. I'm a fan of David Cook's and I'm glad he won last year, but Archuleta really is amazing. So I begged Brian to get me his CD. 

The first time we listened to it was on our recent road trip to Colorado. Right away, we were both fairly awed by his vocals. Brian was trying to think of someone to compare him to - someone who has a naturally incredible voice. Josh Groban? No. Jason Mraz? Kind of, but not really. Then Brian found it. The highest of all compliments. "Celine!" he says (having just been to her concert with me.) "He's like a male Celine!"

I'm not sure that Archuleta would prefer this new classification, but truly, if you like a solid pop/R&B ensemble, you should give this 18 year-old wonderboy a try.

2 comments:

Christine said...

That's HILARIOUS! Ah, Brian's got the love of Celine deep down in his heart.

Anonymous said...

Well I definitelt need to listen to him after THAT comparison!!! I'd love him then!