Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Running the race

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about running.

When we got to Lancaster, Brian decided to start an exercise routine. A beautiful trail, a little more than 1 mile long, surrounds our apartment complex, and he has faithfully been running it twice 5 days a week. Let me say that I am SO proud of him for doing this - it is NOT easy. I've joined him for the entire run a few times, but usually I cut in only for his last lap. That's because I hate to run. I will gladly do the elliptical for 90 minutes, but ask me to run 2 miles and I can barely make it.

I watched both the men's and women's marathons in the Olympics this year, and when the runners entered the stadium and neared the finish line, I was brought to tears. Being able to relate (a very little) to the pain their bodies must be in, and the relief of being almost finished, and the encouragement they must draw from the crowd - it's helped me view running in a new light. It's also brought Hebrews 12:1 to mind:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

My dad often reminds his Sunday School class that the race we are running is NOW. We are not preparing for a race we are going to run someday - we are currently, this very minute, running the race that the Lord marked out for each of us before the beginning of time. And we have a great cloud of unseen witnesses, cheering us on as we make God-honoring decisions, even if no one is there to see with earthly eyes. I'm not going to try to predict the return of the Lord, but for the past year, with the help of my dad, I've been closely following world events. I truly believe we are living in the last days. The finish line is near. NOW is the time (and I'm saying this to myself) to throw off the sin that would hold me back from wholeheartedly following the agenda of my God. NOW is the time to forget myself - to discipline myself to HIS glory. I want to run like I have never run before. No matter if I'm tired or weary - NOW is the time to show perseverance, to push myself and to end the race running with all of my might.

I love all of you fellow runners - remember that we are in this race of life together - God has given us to each other to be a source of encouragement and strength when we grow faint. On that note, I want to share an incredibly powerful video with you. My brother, Austin, is working on a web site for a new book called The Bravehearted Gospel and the clip is posted on that site. Click on the link and then on "video" - I guarantee you'll be ready to hit the trail hard when it's over!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

So encouraging, Em! Thanks for sharing that!! Love you!!