Monday, November 1, 2010

eight years old

I know, I know. Stryder's a dog.

But he's an amazing dog. And I don't have any kids. Therefore, I will write a post about his birthday.

You don't have to read it if you think it's silly.

Two puppies from his litter arrived on October 30 and the rest came on the 31st. We don't really know which debuted when. So Stryder gets a two-day celebration every year!

He was born in Wichita in 2002. I was at the Focus on the Family Institute in Colorado Springs, miles away. To say that I was excited would be an understatement. My parents e-mailed me a video of the entire newborn litter, which at the time was very high-tech - my roommates couldn't believe my parents had taken a video that I could actually watch on my computer. (Isn't it crazy how far technology has come in just eight years - now we're all skyping?!?!)

When I was finally able to spend time with the puppies a month later, choosing one was difficult. My parents were also keeping a male, so we narrowed it down to the darkest two, hoping that they would have the same handsome coat as Mannley (their dad and our family dog).

I ended up picking Stryder because he didn't whine in the car like his brother did. I needed a dog who would be a good travel companion. I brought him home on Christmas Eve. He was the best Christmas gift I'll ever get!

Loyal companion he has been, living with me in:

- two apartments in Waco
- my parents house in Wichita
- Steamboat Springs, CO
- Overland Park, KS
- with my parents, apart from Brian and me, for three months while we lived in Lancaster, PA
- our townhouse in Wichita
- now, our home in Indianapolis

What a trooper! A faithful constant in my life during a decade of change. I love him like crazy (like you couldn't already tell). And now Brian loves him too. :) Happy birthday buddy. I wish you many, many, MANY more.

Happy guy at the Three Dog Bakery down the street.

Birthday treats (he even shared with Annabelle). He got a s'more, in my honor.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Happy Birthday Stryder! What a sweet dog!

The Spann's said...

i love you Em! happy b'day from Elle!