Tuesday, March 23, 2010

liney cake

A couple of weeks ago, I got to make my very first kiddo birthday cake! Some good friends in our small group threw their newly two-year-old son a Madagascar-themed bash, and they asked if I could help with the cake.

Thank goodness my sister Lesley was in town visiting! She graciously pitched in on the project. And she was awesome! She's a fashion merchandising major hoping to do visual merchandising, so she's got a fantastic eye and sense for what looks right where. We had a blast sketching the cake out together (Ace of Cakes style) and then watching as our ideas came to life. It was seriously so much fun!


One of the hardest parts was getting the characters, especially the Lion (aka "Liney" to the birthday boy), to look just right. But in the end, I think they turned out ok. Les did the penguins and I just love those little guys.


Unfortunately, I have ZERO pictures of Les and I with our masterpiece. I am kicking myself that we didn't take one together! Oh well. We've definitely got some memories!

Along with polishing up on our decorating skills, Les and I fit some shopping, manicures, dirt-cake-eating (our FAVE) and lots of doggie time into her visit! We did so much, yet not a picture to show for it. I have got to get better about remembering to use my camera!

Side note: I have a new favorite cake recipe that I used for this cake. Kelly made it for us during our recent girls weekend and it was so yummy. Try it - you'll love it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Em! That is one AMAZING cake! I'm super impressed. They had to have been thrilled with it...can you ship a Monster Truck cake for Ace?! OR rather, wish me luck as I attempt it for his 3rd birthday.

The Notetaker said...

AMAZING, Em! You are so incredibly talented. I bet the birthday boy {and his parents} were thrilled.

Meredith said...

Wow! Incredible!! You are so talented!!

Erin said...

This is fantastic! I don't know if I'd be able to bring myself to cut into something so beautifully made!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is AMAZING!!! Way to go Em!

The Bailes said...

This cake is AMAZING! I'm so proud of you! How long did this take you?! I'm nervous to ask...