Tuesday, January 26, 2010

latest addiction

I've officially caught the knitting bug. I. can't. stop. Why didn't anyone ever tell me that twisting yarn would be this much fun?!?!?

After my friend Ashley taught me to crochet a couple of months ago, I decided that I also wanted to try my hand at knitting. Over Thanksgiving break, having not a clue the difference between a knit and a purl, I bought my first set of needles. Then I mustered up the courage to visit Twist, an adorable little knitting shop in Wichita.

Here's the first book that caught my eye:

Rowan Newshapes; New Shapes

After a friendly associate convinced me that I really could learn how to knit, I left Twist with this book and four skeins of yarn. And a teeny bit more confidence.

New Shapes turned out to be a book that is just perfect for beginners. In the back of the book are really specific instructions on each type of stitch. Although I had to refer to knittinghelp.com a few times, learning the stitches wasn't nearly as scary as I had imagined!

This scarf and hat are from the New Shapes book and were my first two projects.


Aren't the little bows cute? I think I made the one on the hat a bit large, but I like how they turned out on the scarf (the scarf tucks into itself behind the bows).

I quickly discovered that although there are thousands upon thousands of great knitting books, there are also a TON of patterns, many of them free, online. One of my favorite new resources for patterns is Ravelry, a site created especially for knitters and crocheters.

It was there that I found my next adorable project: a Marc Jacobs inspired scarf that I gave my sister for Christmas. I immediately fell in love with the ruffles (here's the pattern if you want to take a stab at it yourself).

I love it so much that I'm currently working on one for myself!

My last completed project was this Anthropologie-inspired scarflet, which I gave my cousin for Christmas. I made it so that she could remove the flower and wear it plain, or maybe with a brooch. It's hard to tell from this picture because the flower is hiding it, but at the criss-cross, the scarf tucks through itself (you can see how it works at the designer's blog).


Brian's mom also gave me a book for Christmas that has the cutest baby patterns I have ever seen! I'm keeping it secret for now, though, because I plan on using it quite frequently this year for gifts, as about 70 jillion of my friends are currently preggo! :)

Does anyone else out there knit? This newbie would love any advice, good knitting sites, books, etc.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Em - I'm NOT giving any more Girls' Weekend activities away to you, but why don't you put those knitting needles in your suitcase on the off chance we may have some time on our hands...

The Spann's said...

I am so impressed Em! So, have you given up the crochette and only doing knit? I need to re-educate myself on knitting b/c those creations are beautiful! Great gifts for Christmas too! I'm so proud of you!!!

Emily said...

You're seriously a natural talent. I still can't believe you started knitting only a couple months ago.
I'm almost done with my Marc Jacobs scarf! Just 3 more ruffles to go. Yay!
The Anthropologie scarflet turned out AWESOME! I definitely want to do that one next. But you'll have to give me your pattern modifications if you can remember them. Way to go! Love the flower you did for it.

Meredith said...

Amazing, Em!! I need those patterns too!!

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW!! You are AMAZING!! Those are all SO cute!!

Erin said...

I love these! They are too cute! Let me know if you end up liking that baby pattern book - when I went to Twist, I came out a little overwhelmed :-)

Kristin said...

These are SO cute. I can't believe you made them yourself! You are talented! Maybe I need to learn to knit :).

The Bailes said...

You are soooo good AND a great teacher...I don't know if I consider is as "fun" as you do yet...I'm still learning...and straining my eyes and poor hands :) I hope to be as good as you someday!