Wednesday, October 21, 2009

From Conrad to the Marine Corps

As Americans, we have so much to be thankful for. Sometimes we might hear that so often that it goes in one ear and out the other.

With every year that passes, I find myself more and more grateful for the country in which I was born. There is no other place like it on earth.

And that is largely due to the men and women who DAILY make enormous sacrifices for my freedom, and for the good of the country I call home. They leave their families, their homes, their comforts. To risk their lives as they train and fight for freedom.

I received this video today, featuring Matt Kutilek, a guy friend from high school. He always had a great sense of humor and while extremely driven, was also a really fun friend (he even played the swoony Conrad Birdie in our production of Bye Bye Birdie!). We kept in touch for a couple years after high school, but the last time I really talked to him was when I visited him at the Citadel during a trip to Charleston my sophomore year of college.

I haven't heard much about him during the past few years... I was so happy, and humbled, as I watched the following video that offers a glimpse into his life. Thank you, Matt, for your service to our country.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

How crazy! Somehow I'm not surprised to see Matt in that role all these years later...

Unknown said...

That's really awesome. I'll never forget him as Conrad Birdie! :) Too funny. But I have SO much respect for all he's done!