Thursday, October 22, 2009

Food for fall

I really like to cook. And I REALLY like to bake. But something in the autumn air gives me the urge to play with food even more than usual!

So, here's a sampling of some of the seasonal goodies I've been trying out over the past few weeks. I love to share recipes, so if anyone wants them, please let me know!

I truly can't stand pumpkin pie. The thought of it almost makes me gag. However, I like pretty much everything else pumpkin, so I've been experimenting with it a lot lately. My first creation was Homemade Pumpkin Ravioli with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce. For our wedding, Brian and I received a pasta maker attachment that fits our stand mixer. And ridiculously, until a few weeks ago, we had never used it! We can't believe that we have been missing out on homemade pasta for four whole years. Making it was a lot easier than we were expecting - we'll definitely do it again!


Next up was Pumpkin Spice Waffles. Ok, I didn't take this picture (we devoured them before I thought to pull out the camera) but these are super yummy! I've been making them for several years now and they are amazing!


We had some friends over for dinner the other night and I pulled two pumpkin courses out on them. Southwestern Pumpkin Soup (garnished with white cheddar cheese and cilantro - and again, forgot to take my own picture), with grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping. OH MY. We washed that down with a Pumpkin Spice Cake (filled with Cream Cheese Toffee Pumpkin Filling and drizzled with a Citrus Glaze - and this picture's mine). I made the cake in my pumpkin bundt pan - it makes creating a super cute cake SO easy!



Anyone who knows me knows that I look for any excuse to make Sugar Cookies, so I happily volunteered to bring them to my Bible Study luncheon earlier this week. And, I get to make them again next week - I'm taking them with me when I head to Nashville for a weekend with three of my friends from the Focus on the Family Institute.


Does anyone have any favorite fall recipes they'd be willing to share with me before I start pulling out my Christmas cookbooks? :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl - I want all the recipes! I recognize some from Southern Living...right? I'd love the waffle one and the cake one! Can't wait to munch on one of those cookies.

Emily said...

Yum, Em!!! Totally going to try the waffles soon. I love pumpkin ravioli but usually make it with a sage butter sauce. I'll have to try the gorgonzola one.
That pumpkin dessert looks amazing!!
I'm working on a fall foods post for my Domestic Notebook blog. I love the flavors of this time of year!
Your cookies are gorgeous by the way. :)

Meredith said...

Wow! You've been busy! It all looks yummy and I will definitely have to try some of those because I also love most things pumpkin :-)

Justin and Gi said...

Hi,
My name is Gi a friend of K Littrell and just made a Pumpkin Chowder from Southern living called Pumpkin Acorn squash soup....delicious. Thought I'd share
I love pumpkin too!
Have a great fall. Gi

The Bailes said...

WOW, those sound sooooo good! I love pumpkin pie though...you are missing OUT! I want the ravioli recipe please.