Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The past few weeks...

I have been too busy to blog, and I apologize. I'll try not to let it happen again!

I am currently in Wichita, working for the next three weeks on the collateral for a big wedding (I had to leave all of my supplies here since I couldn't fit them in our car during the move). Poor Brian is now stuck in Lancaster, all alone, so we are hoping the time goes by quickly until we can be together again. 

Before I left, we had the chance to visit the Betchers (Brian's aunt, uncle and cousins) who live in Leesburg, Virginia, which is a suburb of DC. The drive to Leesburg took us through Gettysburg, so we briefly stopped and walked around the huge exhibit they have at the site of the battleground. It is one of the most extensive, impressive displays I have ever seen. We are hoping to go back before we leave the area because we could have easily spent the entire day wandering around the museum and driving to all of the different sites on the battlegrounds.

Since the Betchers live so far from the midwest, Brian hadn't been out to see them for years, so we had a great time getting a glimpse into their world on the east coast. They took us into DC on Saturday, where we went to the International Spy Museum (SO fun!), a presidential exhibit at the Smithsonian, the White House, the Capitol and several other memorials. I had never been to DC before, so it was really fun for me to see in person all of the buildings I have only ever seen in history books. We also got to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics with the Betchers - I'm sure everyone has seen it by now, but if not, here's a link to the entire first hour. Absolutely amazing. 

After an overnight delay in Memphis where she had to spend the night all by herself, we picked my brave sister Lesley up at the Baltimore airport and brought her back to Lancaster. She spent a week with us before we both flew back to Wichita together. We had a really fun time together, but unfortunately don't have many pictures to show for it since we are both very bad at asking strangers to take pictures for us. :) We spent a good deal of time at the largest mall on the east coast, picked peaches and apples in an orchard, tried our best to spot Jon and Kate plus 8 (they live in Lancaster County), found the best pretzels in the world and ate more chocolate than we should have in Hershey, PA. I love having a sister.

Until I go back to Lancaster in September, we won't have anything too exciting going on, but I'll try to take a break from all of my work and post some random happenings or deep thoughts. :)



2 comments:

The Bailes said...

I'm glad to see pics and read an update! The weeks will fly by, don't worry! AND if you decide to stop in KC, you better alert me!

Kristin said...

Glad you had fun with Les! I'm sure the time will go quickly... We'll be in Wichita this weekend, so maybe we can take the dogs for a walk or something and catch up!