Monday, October 27, 2008

Back to Ta Town

(For those of you who aren't Wichita natives, "Ta Town" is what the locals affectionately call our thriving metropolis.)

After about 24 hours on the road, we were very thankful to pull into my parents' driveway and see our beloved Stryder at the window, just as anxious to see us as we were to see him. It is SO good to all be together again! On our way back, we drove along the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains, which overlooks the Shenandoah Valley. So beautiful, especially with all of the changing trees.

Probably due to my recent addiction to Gilmore Girls, I have decided to take up drinking coffee (the main characters are coffee junkies), and Brian has decided to join me. I have always loved the smell of coffee, and the idea of coffee - like brewing a pot every morning - but it has always tasted like burnt water to me. I have been told that I just need to add cupfuls of cream and sugar, and sure enough, it really does help and the taste is beginning to grow on me. I think I have now consumed five whole cups! Below is a picture of our very first cup, which we bought in Shenandoah National Park.
So, if anyone has any recommendations on good coffees, or maybe more importantly, good creamers, let me know! Oh, and if anyone ever wants to borrow a season of Gilmore Girls, just ask. We found a great deal on amazon and got all seven seasons! We watched all of season 2 on our drive back!

Brian felt good about his interview at the Mayo clinic last week, but we won't know anything until match day, which is Dec. 3. They only take one resident, but they seem to truly desire a well-rounded resident, so we feel like Brian has a good shot. Although he was not number 1 or 2 in his class, in the past two years, Brian has accomplished soooo much, so we are praying that they will value his character and his experience. Thanks so much for all of your prayers - they have been getting us through this tough time and the Lord daily gives us peace that passes understanding. Brian started working for his dad today, so he is looking forward to settling into a routine there.

This weekend, my mom and I are heading down to Baylor for Homecoming so we can see my sister perform in Pigskin! Let me know if any of you will be there too!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Glad y'all made it back safely! I love coffee and have missed it during the past 7 months...though I do occasionally treat myself to a cup of decaf :-) International Delight creamers are awesome! I love them all but irish creme and hazelnut are my favorite flavors! Have fun at homecoming! I'm so bummed not to be there.

The Bailes said...

YEA! Well...I can tell you a thing or two about coffee from my s-bux days, girl! Call me anytime. I used to be just like you with my coffee drinking and now I can drink it BLACK, can you imagine? I love my coffee, but am doing without the caffeine. You must buy local or s-bux whole bean coffee and grind it fresh, using a burr grinder. A french press gives you the most bean oils and best flavor...okay, that's enough tips to get ya started! ;) OOHHHHH, and have a common grounds frozen milky way for me! AND get the recipe!